Wednesday, March 17, 2010

goosey gander



the Roman Tufted Geese were so eager to nest and I am not set up for them yet. So they were laying eggs and attacking anyone who came near them- in the poultry barn. The gander was really ripping some of the hens up so they had to find a new home- found them a new home really fast and they earned me $75, ironically I had an amazing acupuncture session earlier that afternoon for $75. The next day two goslings hatched in the incubator. The other eggs didn't make it, and I TOTALLY understand- if I was an egg and spent 3 weeks thru the worst winter ever, getting frozen, then almost set on by the goose only to be abandoned because I couldn't have them nest next to all the nestboxes where the hens lay- wrecking havoc in the coop, to me finding this little incubator on ebay- of the 9 eggs, 2 hatched, 3 still born- meaning they died in shell just before hatching and 4 infertile. So the two goslings are healthy and settled, in a little box in the garage with heat lamp and dried pine needles as bedding. The pine needles on the property are going to prove very useful as a bedding for the animals. Now I have to decide- do I sell these two- do we want Roman Tufted Geese around......... urgh tough one, of course right now they are adorable.

think I might sell them and switch to Chinese geese, or should I allow them to xbreed Roman tufted and chinese goose- what I really want is a mini swan- black beak, without the chinese goose knob, but its long neck, so maybe using brown and white chinese geese to a roman gander, over 10 years might do the trick. Better get to it! I'll instill the ability to fly while I'm at it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment